The below steps were put together in a simulated Virtual Server environment, however I have also followed this and successfully migrated one of our customers Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 (Exchange 2000) to Exchange 2007.
The requirements for this migrating was that the customer purchased two new servers. One server to replace the Small Business Server as a new Domain Controller and the other as a dedicated Exchange 2007 Server.
I simulated the migration with the following Virtual Servers.
1x Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 in domain jet.local (server name: Server)
1x Microsoft Windows Server 2003 promoted as a domain controller into the jet.local domain (server name: jetdc)
1x Microsoft Windows Server 2003 member server running Exchange 2007 (server name: exch2k7)
1. Install SBS Service Pack 1a (Windows 2000 Server Service pack 4 and Exchange 2000 Service pack 3)
Build New DC
2. Build new DC and add to domain as member server (jetdc)
3. Run Adprep /Forestprep /Domainprep from windows server 2003 cd, then ldifde.exe /i /f inetOrgPersonFix.ldf /c “DC=X” “DC=mycorp,DC=com”
4. Dcpromo jetdc
5. Set jetdc as Global Catalogue
6. Change jetdc to Schema Master for jet.local domain
7. Install DNS on jetdc
8. Restart File Replication Service on jetdc (confirm promotion of jetdc to domain controller)
9. Check jetdc to make sure it’s a Global Catalogue (event log)
Raise Domain & Exchange level
10. Raise domain function level (windows 2000 native)
11. Change Exchange operation mode (native mode 2000)
12. Prepare exch2k7 for Exchange 2007 (Install IIS, .net framework, shell console etc)
Prepare AD for Exchange 2007
13. exch2k7 run Exchange 2007 setup.com /PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions /PrepareSchema /PrepareAd
***note in my virtual server simulation i did not come across this, however in the live migration when running setup.com it failed with the error “You do not have permissions to read the security descriptor on DC=”. After applying hotfix 928569 I was able to run setup without any issues***.
***note if /PrepareSchema and /PrepareAd fails you will need to point this to your new 2003 DC. To do this run “setup.com /domaincontroller:SERVERNAME.FQDN /PrepareSchema”***
Install Exchange 2007
14. exch2k7 install exchange 2007
“setup.com /mode:install /role:MB,HT,CA,MT /DomainController:jetdc.jet.local /LegacyRoutingServer:jetsbs.jet.local”
Transfer FSMO Roles
15. transfer FSMO roles to jetdc (netdom query fsmo) (seize rid master,pdc, domain naming master, infrastructure master
16. dcpromo down SBS server
17. Change primary DNS on exch2k7 to point to itself
Over the next few comings weeks I should complete this migration, upon doing so I will post an update with any alterations to the steps performed post migration.